At Bastion we fully understand that changing your property for the better can both be an exciting yet stressful time. That’s why we are with you at every step, to ensure the progress of the project runs smoothly.
Frequently Asked Questions.
Making your life, and the process more simple.
When giving your home or commercial property a new lease of life, we appreciate that starting the actual project is often the hardest part. That’s why we’ve shared answers to a selection of the most common questions we’re asked, which we hope will give you the information you need, and demonstrate that you have found the right architect to solve your challenges.
If you’re still unsure about anything, then please get in touch. We’d love to help.
First and foremost, you need a brief to enable architectural designers to quote for the project. The main things to know are what are your goals, and what is your budget. For a more detailed brief, try to answer as many of the questions below as you can.
- Do you want to extend your home or build a new one?
- If you are thinking of building a new home, do you have a site selected?
- What do you like about your current home? What's missing? What don't you like?
- What is your lifestyle? Are you at home a great deal? Do you work at home? Do you entertain often?
- How much time do you spend in the living areas, bedroom, kitchen, utility space etc.?
- What kind of spaces do you need, e.g bedrooms, bigger kitchen, family room, bathrooms, etc?
- How many of those spaces do you think you need?
- Do you like a design style? What do you think the extension/ renovation/ new home should look like?
- Are you renovating listed building interiors - what planning consent do you need?
- Is your property in a conservation area? Will this restrict your development plans?
- Do you need to improve a building’s accessibility?
The process can be complicated and long winded, but we will be there with you every step of the way to guide you through it. Download our handy checklist here to keep track of where you are and what comes next.
Timings can vary from project to project, depending on various factors. Generally speaking, if everything goes smoothly, for a medium sized extension you could expect the build to be finished within 9-12 months from such time that we are instructed.
There are sometimes ways in which we can speed up parts of the process, therefore if you have rigid time constraints let us know and we will discuss if this is suitable for you.
Most tasks can be taken care of by specialists and professionals. However, you are the ultimate decision maker and there are responsibilities as the client. You can download our client checklist which outlines these for you.
The answer to this can vary depending on size, complexity, design style and detail. However as a rough guide, *currently, for a good builder in South East England, costs are around £2500 per square metre of new floor area. (*April 2019)
Take a look at our service and fees breakdown for an idea of our costs.
Alternatively, fill out our online form or get in touch for a more detailed quote.
We offer different levels of service to suit all budgets. Take a look at our service and fees breakdown for a detailed look at what’s included.
We produce realistic looking 3D Visualisations of our designs, so you don’t have to imagine anything!
In certain circumstances, it is possible to carry out some building work without planning permission, this is called permitted development. You can learn more about what is possible with these interactive guides. A lawful development certificate is required for projects carried out under permitted development. This is confirmation from the council that what you propose to build is permissible. Please also find useful planning information related to listed buildings and other heritage assets at Historic England.
We use ARB, RIBA and ACIAT chartered architects, architectural technologists as well as architectural and interior designers to carry out our designs and drawings. We will appoint the most appropriate and qualified person to each stage / task of your project.